Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Habanero Sauce

So finally I decided to try the recipe that Mayra gave me from El Chef in Torreon Mexico. It's a recipe for a habanero and sour cream sauce. In fact last night I had a dream that I went back to visit to try the amazing tacos and her amazing habanero crema sauce. The place has been closed down due to drug cartel violence in the area but in the dream it was alive and thriving. I miss her and hope someday I can see her again and we can cook together.

Grilling the habaneros and onion

I decided to grill the onion and habaneros because the grill was calling my name but i feel it decreased the spice so next time i will just use the fresh habaneros like Mayra does.
I put it all in a magic bullet.

This is after i blended it with ketchup

Added the mayo and there is the sour cream on top

End product. This is the reason I have a habanero tattoo

The recipe:

1 1/2 cups of sour cream
6 habaneros
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
1/4 of a whole onion
3 garlic cloves



Now it's all very simple because basically you just blend it all but i blend it in certain steps so it's easier to mix.

Step 1:
Blend the habanero, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper. I used a Magic bullet for this entire process and it made this all incredibly easy.

Step 2: Add ketchup to that and blend

Step 3: Add the mayo... basically you see where this is going

Step 4: Add the sour cream and blend until it's completely mixed. I used an adapter on my magic bullet the size of a full sized blender because there is a lot of this stuff.

Voila!
You have around 24 oz. of this habanero sauce i put on tacos or burgers. My room mate said it was a little bland but as you can tell from the ingredients something secret wont pop out of this. I just love to add a little heat to everything. Next time i want to try about 12 habaneros to see if I can bump the heat up a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment